Sunday 1 January 2012

SHARKTOPUS? A low budget syfy movie?

Sounds like my kind of film!

Or a deeper look into the brilliance of films that are absolutely awful but still entertaining... 






Hello again, I see you're back to read more of my incoherent ramblings, well good. I don't want to sit here typing to myself.

So was it the title that caught your attention? Were you ready for some rant criticising the crap that's on TV (and sometimes even in the cinemas!) these days? Well I'm afraid I can't give you that, but read on anyway, you might get a laugh or at very worst you'll lose five minutes of your time reading about a shark with tentacles. Fascinating I know.

(Also if you're wondering about that life threatening situation in the post before last it all seems to have blown over now so I can stop panicking and crawl out of my pillow fort and back into the open. Thank god. That thing was way too small.)

I have a set of rules with films like this:
  1. It's never a normal animal, it's indestructible, a scientific experiment, has tentacles instead of fins or it's huge (or all of the above) , whatever it is it will undoubtedly have something that makes it special.
  2.  Never say it (the sharktopus, alien, giant noodle monster ect) doesn't exist, it'll come back and bite you in the ass, literally.
  3. The small prehistoric monsters are bound to be babies, how else would you add a twist at the end of the film?
  4. If they are babies? Don't ask where the adults are.
  5. If there isn't a twist you're doing something wrong cheesy film! 
  6. If the CGI is good it usually just ends up being plain old bad, if it's bad at least they have the 'not taking itself seriously' thing going for it.
  7. Normally blowing it up with explosives will kill it. Especially if 'it' is a shark.
But mostly I just wanted to say this : Why do so many people hate cheesy horror flicks? I mean, I know they're bloody awful but that's half the fun isn't it?  If they were trying to be good then we'd all just roll our eyes and get bored.

And also to say that, even with my phobia of tentacles (it's a long story) , Sharktopus is one of the funniest films I've watched in a while. I'd recommend it if you want so bad it's good brilliance or you're collecting bad shark films.

Plus the CGI and AYYYYEEEIIIIII scream by one of the people cracks me up every time.

If you want to watch more films like sharktopus then try watching syfy or movies24 I believe (at least over here in good ol' England). You won't regret it.

Other (must watch) awesomely bad (or good!)  films about sharks (and other underwater critters)?


 There are a hell of a lot...
  1. Mega shark verses Giant octopus. (It's a classic after all.)
  2. Goblin sharks! (Heh...heheheh....)
  3. Deep Blue Sea. (Okay so this isn't bad, this is one of the BEST, and what it lacks in so bad it's good it makes up in actual...well...good!)
  4. Raging sharks. (I haven't actually seen this but there are explosions and... Aliens. Aliens and explosions and sharks. That sounds...bloody awesome! I have no promises though, it could be actual awful but if you ever happen to see it tell me what you think.)
  5. Jaws. (This film terrified me as a child. Though now I'm more worried about jellyfish and octopi in the water then sharks...so there Jaws you and your sharp teeth no longer worry me...mostly)
  6. Sharks in Venice. ( Think of it as Snakes on a Plane, except with sharks and in Venice. The list I stole it from says it's an honourable mention for the worst ever... I wouldn't know, but do tell me whether it's any good-bad! And if it's bad - bad then just...never mention it again?)
 And that's it! Thanks for reading and I hope you return for my next blogs. (Next blog being rules for surviving a zombie apocalypse probably...)

Freakin' tentacled creepers. You can just tell their waiting for the perfect moment to pounce and wrap their slippery bits round your ankle and sink their teeth (beaks?) in... wait what?
Happy travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment